Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)

Little Wombles is committed to the inclusion of all children. We believe all children have the right to be cared for and educated to develop to their full potential alongside others. All children are entitled to high quality care and education that enables them to share opportunities and experiences and develop and learn from each other. We provide a positive and welcoming environment where children are supported according to their individual needs and are fully included in all areas of nursery life.

At Little Wombles, our Special Education Needs Co-ordinator is Marta Abreu She can be contacted on 0208 870 2220

What should I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress or special educational needs?

Arrange a meeting with our SENCO Marta Abreu

How does the setting decide whether a child has special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and what extra help they need?

Little Wombles will work with parents to understand the needs of your child. The process of identifying that a child might need additional support or assessment will involve a conversation between nursery and parents or carers at the earliest opportunity. This makes sure that parents and carers are always consulted at every step and kept fully informed about the help their child is given, and the results of that help.

When children have identified SEND before they start at Little Wombles, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their SEN will be in our setting and how we can manage it.

If you tell us you think your child has a SEN we will discuss this with you and look into it. We will share what we discover with you and agree with you what we will do next and what you can do to help your child.

If our staff think that your child has a SEN this may be because they are not making the same progress as other children; for example they may not be able to follow instructions or are not acquiring language at the expected rate. We will make regular observations of your child to monitor their progress.

Should we require further help we will contact the specialist SEND Team.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

At Little Wombles each child has a daily diary where staff communicate about the children’s day. Staff give verbal daily feedback to parents. We have regular parents meetings. Staff continually plan next steps for each child and share ideas with parents on how they can support their child at home. If your child is receiving additional support because of a Special Educational Need or disability, you will receive a copy of your child's Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan each time it is reviewed. This gives details of the specific outcomes your child is working towards and how we can work, in partnership, to help your child achieve these outcomes.

How will my child be involved in and consulted about how their special educational needs are met and what progress they are making?

The children are given regular opportunities to look through their Learning Journeys and share them with their parents celebrating their achievements.

How do you assess and review my child’s progress?

Each child is assigned a key worker who builds a relationship with the child and observes and monitors their progress. Observations inform the next steps for each child. Staff use trackers to monitor progress. These are regularly updated and again inform future planning. Progress is reviewed at regular parent meetings.

How is teaching and the curriculum adapted to my child’s needs?

We will adapt our learning experiences to make them accessible to all children by making them easier or more challenging or using additional resources or outside agencies if they are required.

What support is there for my child’s emotional well-being?

The child’s Key worker builds a relationship with the child and will help them to settle in the new environment, build confidence and meet their individual care and educational needs.

How do you promote positive behaviour?

Please refer to our Behaviour Policy

What training and specialist skills do the staff supporting children with SEND have or are having?

Our staff have training or experience in adapting to a range of SEND and will undergo additional training if required.

What do you do to make the setting environment and curriculum accessible for all children?

The setting is all on one level with disabled access and disabled toilet facilities. Any special physical requirements will be assessed individually and equipment will be provided to meet those needs with the help of the Local Authority SEND services.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom?

If appropriate children will be taken on daily outings with the other children and relevant risk assessments undertaken.

How will the setting prepare my child to join the setting and transition to the next school?

Little Wombles offers a standard 16 hour settling period spread over a week or two weeks. This is agreed with parents in advance and can be adapted for individual needs. During this time the child will get to know their Key Worker.

Parents complete an ‘About Me’ form so that staff can get to know the child quickly and help them to settle as quickly as possible.

If your child is moving on to school we arrange visits with the future school and arrange meetings with future teachers to make them aware of the additional needs and ensure additional support is in place.

When moving rooms in the setting children spend time with their new Key Worker to get to know them. Because we are a small Nursery, all staff know each of the children very well and are aware of their needs. The child will already be very familiar with the setting as they spend time in each room throughout each day.

What specialist services from outside does the Nursery use to help meet children’s needs and how do you work together?

We get support from Local Authority services when required such as SEN Specialists, Educational Psychologists, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy etc. We met with them regularly to review progress and set new targets.

What will you do if my child has medical needs?

We will seek any required support from external agencies and with parental permission administer any required medication.

What should I do if I am unhappy with my child’s support or progress?

Firstly you should arrange a meeting with your child’s Key Worker. If you are not happy that your concerns have been addressed you should then contact the SENCO or Principal.

Where can I go for further advice and support?

The Wandsworth Information Advice and Support Service (WIASS) provides an impartial and confidential service to all parents of children with SEND. Visit their website at https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/pps or telephone 020 8871 8065

The Wandsworth Parents’ Forum “Positive Parent Action” works with the Council to improve all provision for children and young people with SEN and Disabilities aged 0 to 25. If you want to get involved in influencing services visit their website at www.positiveparentaction.org.uk or telephone 020 8947 5260

More information about the Local Offer of services and support for children and young people with special needs and disabilities from 0-25 years old in Wandsworth can be found on Local Offer website at

https: www.wandsworth.gov.uk/localoffer . Their helpline is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday 020 8871 7899, email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The information in this report is accurate now, but we regularly review and make changes to what we offer and keep this information as up to date as possible.


This offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information. If you would like to comment on the content of the offer or make suggestions to improve the information, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.